In Windows 11 22H2 we have some great new options for the Start Menu layout which I really like, More Pins or More recommendations.
There is no builtin way to configure the default for the end-user with which Start Menu layout to use. We get a lot of questions from end-users that they would like to have more pinned apps in the Start menu to make it easier to start them without clicking on more apps first. Which we now can!
I wrote a post on how to customize the layout using registry values: https://ccmexec.com/2022/04/windows-11-insider-start-menu-layout-registry-customizations/
Me and my colleague Sassan updated the script mentioned here to customize the taskbar with new features: https://ccmexec.com/2021/10/modifying-windows-11-start-button-location-and-taskbar-icons-during-osd-autopilot/
The Taskbar could look like this:
– Set the default for More Pins
– Set the default for More recommendations
– Apply to all existing profiles on the computer
– Writes a registry value which can be used for detection in a Win32app, making it possible to install using Intune as well both as a script and Win32app.
The script can be used with the following variables:
– RemoveTaskView = Remove Task View from the Taskbar
– RemoveWidgets = Removes widgets from the Taskbar
– RemoveChat = Removes chat from the Taskbar
– MoveStartLeft = Move Start to the left
– RemoveSearch = Remove Search from the Taskbar
– StartMorePins = Changes the default Start layout to More pins (22H2)
– StartMoreRecommendations = Changes the default Start layout to More recommendations (22H2)
– RunForExistingUsers = Modifies all existing profiles on the computer.
powershell.exe -noprofile -executionpolicy bypass -file CustomizeTaskbar.ps1 -RemoveWidgets -StartMorePins –MoveStartLeft
The script can be downloaded from GitHub here: PowerShell/Customize TaskBar and Start Windows 11 at master · Ccmexec/PowerShell · GitHub
Registry value used for detection can be changed in the script.
In Intune we can use this for Win32App detection.
Win32app install syntax:
C:\Windows\Sysnative\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -noprofile -executionpolicy bypass -file CustomizeTaskbar.ps1 -RemoveWidgets -StartMorePins
I have had many requests for this script so I hope it will be useful!